Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Anthro inspired ~ Canvas Flower Wall Art


I did a guest post at Flamingo Toes a few weeks ago with this project. I am posting the whole tutorial on my blog today in case you missed it.

You might have noticed by looking at my blog... I have many interests; You know what that means? I have lots and lots of things in my studio; fabrics, laces, ribbons, papers, beads... etc. you name it. I do not like to waste things and have a hard time parting with beautiful items that I think can be incorporated into future projects. If you are like me and keep tiny pieces of fabrics, this might be the perfect project for you!

A long time ago, I saw this on the Anthropology website and I fell in love with it...

Because of the cost ($88 a pillow? No way!) I never purchased it, but this was on my list of "things to make".

When I was asked to join Scrap Busting Extravaganza, the pillow came to my mind, but then... I thought "hey, what if I make wall art instead!" So, that is what I am going to share with you today.

{You will need}

24" x 24" canvas
Fabric scraps
Thin fusible interfacing (1 yard+)
Mod Podge
Sponge brush
Scissors, pencil
{How to}

1. Lay down the fusible interfacing on the ironing board fusible side up. Lay out the fabric scraps wrong side down on top of the interfacing. Place them close to minimize the gap between the scraps. This way when you are pressing it with the iron, the sticky thing doesn't ruin your iron. There are a couple reasons to do this step; stiffing the fabric, so they become easier to cut into shapes and also to prevent the edges from fraying.

2. Cut a circle for the center of the flower. Mine is about 3" in diameter.

3. Cut fabrics for second layer and third layer. I found that it is easier to cut several petals then paste them with Mod Podge. There are 1/8" to 1/4" space between each petals.

4. The trick to have nicely curved edges to fit with the previous petal is to trace the edge lightly with pencil...

Then cut! When you lay down the fabric on top of the previous one, you can feel a slight bump. just lightly trace it. See, what I mean? Repeat the process to make the flower to your desired size.

5. Now, you are ready to seal it. For this step, I recommend to use a wider sponge brush. Apply generous amount of Mod Podge and spread it all over the canvas. You want minimal contact with the petals and brush so you don't start fraying the edges.

6. It looks a little "milky", but don't worry it will dry clear.

Once it is dry, time to display!

I love how it turned out! I walked around my house to see possible placement of this new wall art. I haven't decided exactly where, but I will show you a few candidates...

On my mantle?

On my cabinet in the formal living room?

Or by the window in the family room?

The last few weeks, it was on my living room wall, but now I moved it to my newly painted laundry room. I had a couple different things for the wall in mind and I asked my kids which one they liked. They love the vibe this wall art gives to the room.


9 comments :

  1. That is gorgeous! I will have to make time to make one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww! this is such a cute and creative idea! Gotta try it someday~

    http://www.opalandopal.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant idea, I'm thinking I might try some mini canvas versions :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I say, move it around all year :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids lovers this beautiful Wall Stickers. They also want to do the same Wall Stickers on their room. Thank you so much for this blog. Keep updating this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonjour, il me semble que 24×24 correspond à une toile plus petite que celle de la photo ? J'aimerais réaliser ce joli tableau floral et je voudrais savoir si je dois encoller chaque pétale sur la toile et repasser une couche de colle sur la totalité de celle-ci et ainsi finaliser mon travail. Merci pour votre réponse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one in the photo is 24"x 24". Isn't it interesting how things appear different in the picture? All I did was added iron-on interfacing to the back of the fabric and cut them up, used Mod Podge glue to glue them on, and painted more gule over the finished work to secure them. I hope this answers your question. Merci d'avoir visité mon blog!

      Delete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin